L’abaya is a traditional clothing worn by Muslim women. It is a long black robe that covers the entire body, except the face, hands and feet. This garment is worn in many Gulf and Middle Eastern countries, as well as parts of North Africa, Asia, and Europe.
Today, the abaya comes in different styles, materials and patterns, giving Muslim women a wide range of choices to express their personality and femininity while respecting the precepts of their faith. In this article, we will present to you the different facets of this iconic garment.
The origins of the abaya
The history of the abaya dates back several centuries. Although there is no consensus on its exact origins, it is generally accepted that this garment originated in the Arabian Peninsula. The first abayas were made from natural fibers. Like wool or linen, and were mainly used to protect women from bad weather and prying eyes.
Over the centuries, this Muslim dress has adapted to the tastes and needs of Muslim women. At the beginning of the 20th century, the garment was gradually modernized and became a symbol of elegance, testifying to the refinement and social status of the women who wore it.
The different styles of abaya
Today, there are a multitude of abaya styles, adapted to the preferences and expectations of each woman. Here are some of the most popular styles:
- open abaya : This abaya is worn like an open front coat, usually closed with buttons, hooks or a belt. It allows you to reveal the outfit worn underneath while remaining discreet and elegant.
- Abaya closed : Unlike the open abaya, this one is completely closed on the front and does not reveal the garment worn underneath. This style is more suitable for women who want full coverage and maximum privacy.
- Butterfly abaya : With its wide flared sleeves, this abaya resembles a cape or a butterfly, hence its name. This style is ideal for those looking for an original and distinguished look.
- abaya kimono : Inspired by the traditional Japanese dress, the kimono abaya is characterized by its long sleeves and its belt to tie around the waist. It is perfect for women who like to mix cultural influences in their wardrobe.
Materials and patterns to personalize your abaya
In addition to different styles, the abaya also comes in a variety of materials and patterns:
- Lightweight fabricssuch as chiffon or silk, which are ideal for warm climates and special occasions;
- Thicker fabricssuch as linen or cotton, which provide comfort and protection on cooler days;
- Embroidered designsapplied or printed, which add a touch of originality and elegance to your outfit.
Accessories to enhance your abaya
To complete your outfit, don’t forget accessories such as:
- The hijab : The veil matching your dress allows you to cover your hair while remaining elegant and stylish. You can opt for a plain, contrasting hijab or with patterns that coordinate with your Muslim dress.
- The belt : In addition to highlighting your waist, the belt can add a pop of color or a sophisticated detail to your ensemble.
- Jewelry : Necklaces, earrings and bracelets can add a touch of glamor to your outfit. However, be careful not to overdo it to remain in the spirit of modesty that characterizes the abaya.
How to choose the right sizemuslim dress ?
To be sure you choose the right size for your Muslim dress, take your measurements taking into account the following points:
- The length : Measure from the top of your shoulders to the desired length (usually at the ankles) to determine the ideal length of your abaya.
- The width : Take into account the circumference of your chest and hips to choose a 3abaya dress that is loose enough. Without being too tight or too wide.
- Sleeves : Remember to measure the length of your arms, from fingertips to shoulder. As well as the circumference of your forearms and wrists.
Once you have taken your measurements, refer to the size guide of the manufacturer or the store where you purchase your abaya to be sure you make the right choice.
Where to buy this Muslim dress?
Today, there are many online shops and physical stores specializing in clothing for Muslim women.
You will find a wide choice of abayas, hijabs and accessories to put together your ideal outfit. Don’t hesitate to compare offers and prices to find the abaya that suits your tastes and your budget.
In summary, the abaya is an emblematic garment of Muslim culture and fashion. It comes in a multitude of styles. Materials and patterns that allow every woman to find the abaya that suits her.
Take the time to choose your abaya carefully, taking into account your preferences. Your body type and the occasions you want to wear it.
This way, you will be sure to shine with elegance and femininity while respecting the values of your faith.